47 Convert Areas or Rooms To Mass
Welcome to this demonstration on Bonus Tools – Convert Areas or Rooms To Mass.
This tool allows you to Convert Areas or Rooms to Mass.
This Tool is available for Revit 2014 and newer versions of Revit.
- To run the tool, navigate to the Bonus Tools Tab and select Convert Areas or Rooms To Mass.
- The Convert Areas or Rooms To Mass dialog will appear.
- Choose between Areas or Rooms as the footprint.
- Choose the selection set: Current View, Current Selection or Entire Project to filter the Text selection.
- Choose to create one family that contains all extruded Areas/Rooms or create a family for each Area/Room.
- If One Family is selected, enter the family name.
- If A Family per each Area/Room is selected:
- By default the Rooms GUID will be used as the family’s names.
- If Use Parameters as Family Name is selected then:
- Choose between Generic Model or Mass Family as the base Family
- If you select Mass Family, then choose to Create Levels.
- Choose whether you want to create Forms or Linework only.
- Choose to Create Materials By Parameter.
- If Room is selected, choose the Phase.
- If Area is selected, choose the Area Scheme.
- Select a Family by Clicking on the button at the end of the Select Family location text box.
- Navigate to and select between a Generic Model or Mass Family.
- Select an output directory by Clicking on the button at the end of the Select the output directory text box.
- Navigate to and select a Folder.
- Filter the contents in the Grid by choosing up-to two Parameters and entering values.
- You select the Areas/Rooms you would like to create Forms from and click the Ok button:
- To select the Areas/Rooms you can either; tick the check boxes individually or highlight the rows using standard mouse drag and control key operations and click Select Selected button.
- or click Select All button to select all Areas/Rooms in the grid.
- or click Select None button to deselect all Areas/Rooms.
- You can change the default Height by either:
- Clicking in the desired Height cell and enter a value.
- Or selecting one or more rows and right clicking and select Rename Selected.
- Enter a value and click Ok.
- Once all selections have been made, click Ok.
- A dialog will show confirming the number of masses created and an output dialog listing the Area/Rooms that were converted to masses.
- View the newly create Mass.
This is quick way to replicate Levels in your Project, in a Mass Family.
By selecting Linework you can quickly get the footprints of your Areas/Rooms into Families to then make Masses other than straight extrusions.
This will create a material with the value in the Parameter and add it to the Form.
Note: If your Project already contains Materials with names equalling these values, then the loaded family will automatically colour.
Note: the Total selected is updating.
Note: Fails will be listed as Red and are typically because Area Lines do not cross.
- The Forms are coloured by Material.
- This is a quick way to colour Area Plans in section without some other workaround or hack via filled regions.
- Because Materials are applied, now they can be tagged inteligently in Section or 3D.
- If this tool is run again using the same Family name, it will overwrite the existing. (tags should stay depending on the changes)
- This tool is a good way to quickly build up contectual surroundings, deleting the Area or Room bounding lines and Areas or Rooms once completed.
- If not all Areas are converted, then is it because the Area Lines do not touch.
Thank you for viewing this demonstration on Bonus Tools – Convert Areas or Rooms To Mass.